If We Were Villains: A Theatre Kid's Review


I have always gravitated towards dystopian and fantasy books, but when one of my friends recommended a novel that she described as ‘a bunch of murderous theater kids running around’. I immediately picked up a copy and began to read. 

If We Were Villains is a debut novel from author M.L. Rio, and the plot features thespians going to a prestigious conservatory named Dellecher. Each student is expected to try their hardest, as each year the class is thinned out. The novel’s narrator is Oliver Marks, one of the seven students remaining, and through his eyes we are able to see the stress each thespian is going through as they begin their fourth and final year, performing Shakespeare tragedies.

As a theater kid, I loved the language in the book, as the characters use their knowledge of theater in their daily lives. With further research, I learned that Rio was once an actor herself, and holds a degree in Shakespeare studies which is shown through The novel splitting into five acts, with multiple scenes in every act. Rio’s knowledge is further shown in If We Were Villains’ use of Shakespeare’s, a special element that kept me hooked throughout reading. The plays the characters perform throughout the year add foreshadowing to later events in the plot, and use quotes in their normal day-to-day conversations. As a casual Shakespeare reader, I was excited to see his work used in this way.

The setting of the novel was another intriguing factor, and greatly affects the plot. If We Were Villains takes place in the late 1990s to early 2000s, and Dellecher Conservatory is in Broadwater, Illinois (unfortunately, the school nor the town exist). The school has a dark academia feel to it, with the thespians living in a space on their campus called ‘the castle’, complete with a fireplace and small rooms for each student. The locations on the campus add towards the feel of the novel, and without spoilers, all I can say is that the campus being close to a lake was intentional.

Despite these two positives, there are some aspects of the novel that I did not enjoy as much. For example, I found the romance in the book to be one of my least favorite parts. This is difficult to explain without spoilers, but two of the thespians begin with a toxic relationship, and their interactions made me feel quite uncomfortable. Regarding the ending of the novel, I was quite surprised at how quickly everything developed and once I finished, I felt confused, needing time to debrief. If the novel had moved slower towards the end, I feel reassessing would not be necessary.

Overall, I enjoyed most aspects of If We Were Villains, although I have mixed feelings. I am not sure if I would recommend this book to everyone reading this post, but if you are looking for a romance murder mystery involving thespians, this is most certainly the book to read! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed my rant. If you’ve read the novel, I’d love to see what you think! 


-Nona Reynolds


Comments

  1. Wait, that book looks so cool!
    But just out of curiosity, how does Dellecher Conservatory decide these 'thinnings', because I've seen quite a few shows related to thinning the population. Is it like they all take a test and if your at the bottom you get 'thinned'? Or is it like: "Oh, your bad at theatre?! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!"
    Great article though, will probably read it after my book queue clears up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for a while actually. This description is more helpful in regards to what I'm getting myself into. So, thank you.
    Do you have a copy and if so can I borrow it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy! I'll make sure to bring it sometime :)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this book before. However this review talking about murder mystery has intrigued me. I love mystery books and I like Shake Spear too. So i think I am going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this book looks good. Your summary is amazing. I think I need to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds fire. Can I see it after max finish it? I need to have something to read during the weekends, is that or working in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds so good! I like dystopian books and I will try to find it as soon as I can

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the description, I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds interesting! I love fiction and mystery books, so I'll make sure to add this book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds so good, Nona! The work you did teasing the novel was wonderful and now I really want to read this book! I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very happy to say I'm the friend who recommended this book, hehe. I love your review and agree that the ending felt slightly rushed, though I found it to add to the chaos and confusion the characters were facing as well. I'm glad you mainly seemed to enjoy the book, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nona! This sounds like an interesting book, and I think it's a cool concept with the theatre aspects throughout the novel. Your description of the book was great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, the book sounds great. I think it's cool how it is split into acts with scenes. I haven't heard of this book before but I think it would be an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although I'm not a theatre kid, this book sounds so interesting! I've never heard of this book before, but I think it's so cool how the setting takes place in Illinois!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts